“Like a fish out of water
7 ‘There’s no smoke without _______’.
d. (a) fire
” without a fire “
8. If you memorise something, for example a poem or speech so you know it without reading it, you learn it by ________.
” by heart “
9. If you tell the truth after initially lying, you ________.
a. come clean
b. go clean
c. come dirty
d. go dirty
” come clean “
10. “People who live in glass houses ________”.
a. shouldn’t walk around naked.
b. should always buy curtains.
c. shouldn’t throw stones.
d. clean their windows regularly.
” We shouldn’t criticise someone for having a fault if we have the same fault ourselves. / shouldn’t throw stones.
11. “He’s turned over a new leaf” What has he done?
a. He’s made a new start, promised to be better.
b. He’s taken an interest in gardening.
c. He’s started a new job.
d. He’s been collecting insects.
Someone decided to turn over a new leaf when he got out of prison
12. If you’ve been ‘burning the candle at both ends’, you have _________.
a. been having lots of dinner parties.
b. working hard and going to bed late.
c. going to church a lot.
d. experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen.
” you have work hard and going to bed late.”
Source : BBC / British Council