Different Cultures, Different Traits
First Encounters in Different Cultures
- English people greet by shaking hands.
- Japanese people greet by bowing.
- French people greet by kissing on the cheek.
In England, the term “toilet” is commonly referred to as “LADIES and GENTS” or sometimes “LOO.” In American English, it is commonly known as a “restroom” or “bathroom.”
Politeness in Language
In England, two of the most frequently used words are “thank you” and “please.”
ATM Usage Across Countries
- USA: ATM
- England: Cash machine, cashpoint
- Italy, Switzerland: Bancomat
- Canada: ABM
- Turkey: ATM
- England: Underground, the tube
- USA: Subway
- Turkey: Metro, tramway
Global Distribution Leader
DHL, the largest distribution company, has an impressive workforce of 350,000 employees.
Cell Phone Terminology
- USA, South Africa: Cell phone
- UK, India, Australia: Mobile phone, mobile
- Asian Countries: Handy phone, hand phone
Holidays and Semester Breaks
- USA: Vacation, semester
- UK: Holiday, term